Saturday, January 24, 2009

Single Serving Apple Pies

One of my problems with dessert is that I often can't limit myself to a single serving. I just don't know how to say no. However, when all you have is a single serving, there's not much you can do but savor each bite and wish for more...

So, introducing the single serving pies. I went out to Fish's Eddy during the week and bought a few 4 oz jars (I believe it's this: Kerr 4 oz quilted crystal jelly jars, 12 jars.). Anyway, since I had some free time today and I'm totally procrastinating from finishing the lacework on my nightgown...I decided to make some caramel covered apple pie. Due to my disease, "I like going for 2nds and 3rds without taking a moment to breathe," and b/c I saw cupcakes in jars on etsy yesterday, I put these pies in jars, too. They're incredibly cute! I'm also a big fan of apple pie crust, so the the increase in the crust to pie ratio is always a plus in my book.

I baked 3 pies in jars and put 3 into the freezer to save for later. I ran out of jars so I put one in a ramekin. I'm too embarrassed to show the leftover scraps that I tried to make into an apple empanada. It started oozing in the oven! My lattice on the jar could use some work though...

The great part about the jar is that I can prepare these in advance, put the lid on and throw it into the freezer and when I'm craving some apple pie, I can just bake one up for warm deliciousness.

This also brings me back to preschool days where I learned how to make apple dumplings. It's really easy. Just take one of those cans of biscuit dough, chop up some apples and put a few pieces into the center of one of the dough circles and sprinkle with cinnamon as desired (adding a small amount of sugar might not be a bad idea either!). Then fold the dough in half, pinching the two sides together and use the prongs of a fork to decorate the edge. Pop in oven (don't remember temperature, but 350 degrees sounds about right) and cook until golden brown.



It's 2 AM and I'm insanely tired, but I want to finish this up, so I'll get right down to the real secret to this pie. It's the sauce poured on top of the apples. So use your favorite recipe for pie crust or buy one premade, add in the apples...and on top...

Apple Pie Sauce
1/2 c unsalted butter
3 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/4 c water
1/2 c white sugar
1/2 c brown sugar

1) Melt butter in saucepan. Add flour and stir. Add water and sugars and raise to boil. Reduce to a simmer for about 5 minutes. Pour over apples.

Note: For these mini pies, I baked at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until the top of the crust was golden brown and I could see the apple sauce bubbling.

xoxo,
lemonie

1 comment: