Sunday, January 18, 2009

Baked Chicken Teriyaki

As much as I love baking, I don't cook enough. Maybe it's because I'd eat a baguette with some olive oil and salt over a real meal any day. I actually knew someone who lived off of bread and butter in high school...and got scurvy. Imagine that, a high school student in New England getting scurvy in the 21st century b/c he didn't feel like going to the cafeteria to get free food! (although the food in our dining center really wasn't very good...)

So in order to avoid scurvy, it's important that I start learning how to cook. One of my favorites is chicken...so, I'm starting with chicken teriyaki. Full of flavor, and not that many calories!
This chicken was a huge hit at the dinner table. There's 5 mouths to feed and I made 10 thighs thinking that we'll have some left over for tomorrow. Nope. Hungry dad ate 4 pieces on his own.



Baked Chicken Teriyaki
1 tbsp cornstarch 1 tbsp cold water
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c soy sauce
1/4 c cider vinegar
1 clove minced garlic
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
12 skinless chicken thighs


1) In a small saucepan over low heat, combine the cornstarch, cold water, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, ginger, and ground black pepper. Let simmer, stirring frequently, until sauce thickens and bubbles.
2) Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
3) Place chicken pieces in a lightly greased pan. Brush chicken with the sauce, turn pieces over and brush again.
4) Bake in the preheated overn for 30 minutes. Brush with sauce every 10 minutes. Turn pieces over and bake for another 30 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink and the juices run clear.

Delicious. Just plain delicious. Part of me wants to slather a ton of sauce on each piece of chicken, thus increasing the ratio of sauce to chicken, but that's the greedy part of me b/c the sauce was present in every bite. This recipe's a keeper!

xoxo,
lemonie

No comments:

Post a Comment