Saturday, January 17, 2009

Cornbread for Breakfast!


A couple months ago, I became obsessed with the pandebono served at Calle Ocho on the Upper West Side. It was really delicious, but somehow I failed at recreating it...even though the chef gave me the mix in a box! Wanting to make it on my own, I spent a few weeks trying to find the right kind of cornmeal, but that didn't even help. I gave up and channeled my baking towards macarons.
However, I still have like TONS of cornmeal. They're just waiting to make it into my tummy, so this morning while lemon-zest was sleeping, I made cornbread. The texture was great and the crust was good, but the bread itself was missing something. My thought is...it's missing butter. It could use more butter for that really unhealthy delicious taste, which I compensated for by spreading some on top! Maybe that's why it tastes that way...to encourage you to spread some on.


1 Stick Butter
2/3 c sugar
2 eggs
1 c buttermilk
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 c cornmeal
1 c ap flour
1/2 tsp salt

1) Grease 8 inch sq pan. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2) In a large skillet, melt butter. Remove from heat and stir in sugar. Beat in eggs.
3) Combine buttermilk with baking soda before adding to pan. Stir in cornmeal, flour, and salt. Pour into pan.
4) Bake 30-40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Note: Make sure to store right away or else it'll dry out!
xoxo,
lemonie

No comments:

Post a Comment