Friday, January 16, 2009

Nutella Rolls

Still on the Nutella binge, I sought another recipe. This one hails from pastry chef, Carine Goren. It's very buttery and flaky on the outside and soft and gooey when you bite into it...but not as pretty as it should be. Upon reflection, I think I made the pastry too thin so you can't see the contrast between the Nutella and pastry when I cut into it. Sigh...food can't always be pretty, right? But I'd like it so much more if it were gorgeous and tasted gorgeous.

However, this is much better than I expected. I really like the buttery taste of the pastry!


Nutella Rolls
3 1/2 c flour
1 tbsp baking powder
3/4 c powdered sugar + extra for dusting
250 gr cold butter, diced (comes out to about 2 sticks + 2 tbsp)
2/3 c milk
Nutella (spread as desired...I used close to 1.5 c)

1) In food processor, pulse flour, baking powder, powdered sugar, and butter until blended.
2) Add milk and continue until dough is formed.
3) Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
4) Divide dough into 3 equal parts. Roll each piece into a rectangle 1/2 cm thick.
5) Spread Nutella onto each rectangle. Roll into a log. Place logs on baking sheet.
6) Bake 30 minutes, until golden.
7) Let cool. Slice cookies into 2 cm slices. Dust with powdered sugar.

Note: This is so delicious when it's warm and straight out of the oven that I didn't even let it cool down. I think I prefer it warm...which also contributed to the Nutella spreading everywhere! If you're not so concerned with these being pretty, cut up and eat right away. Also, a glass of milk is absolutely required!!!!

xoxo,
lemonie

2 comments:

  1. this looks yummy! i think i'll try this :D
    how long can i keep it, if i make it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kept the roll in an airtight cookie jar for about a week before I finally finished it. Whenever I wanted a bite, I just popped it in the microwave and heated it up for a few seconds to warm it up. Just note that it gets softer the longer you store it.

    ReplyDelete