Monday, December 29, 2008

Yummy Garlic Knots


I really wanted to make pizza today, but I didn't have all the ingredients, and I'm still housebound so I couldn't run out and buy some. So, I thought of what else I could make with pizza dough...

And decided on garlic knots. It wasn't until I had mixed the yeast with the flour and sugar that I realized that I didn't actually have garlic. I only had garlic powder, but it was still delicious.

For the Dough
1 package active dry yeast (0.25 oz)
1 tsp white sugar
1 c warm water (110 degrees F)
2 1/2 c bread flour
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt

1) Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2) Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 min.
3) Beat in flour, salt, and oil. When smooth, let rest for 5 min.
4) Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface to form a sheet. Cut into 3/4 inch strips. Cut strips in half and tie into knot. Place on greased pan.
5) Bake until golden brown, 10-15 min. Remove knots from oven and place in big bowl.

Garlic Topping
1/3 c olive oil
6 tbsp minced garlic
5 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp crushed red pepper
1 tsp salt

Drizzle olive oil on top of the knots while they're still hot. Sprinkle with other toppings, toss, and devour.

Notes: The olive oil taste was too strong for me. I used part olive oil and part butter. I think next time, I'll use all butter. I also really love the taste of garlic, so I scooped some of the leftovers and just plunked them on top of the knots. Delicious, but now I have fire breath!

xoxo,
lemonie

No comments:

Post a Comment