Monday, May 25, 2009

2 Days of Macarons at Pierre Herme

I haven't updated in a month. Awful, I know, but it's at least been a busy month. I went to Paris at the end of April and spent 2 days studying macarons at Atelier Pierre Herme. It was incredibly informative and a great excuse to take a few days off of work to go to Paris. While I was there, all I did was eat pastries and desserts. Yumyum.



Here's my meringue whipping away.


When it's done whipping, it looks like this. It shouldn't be below 50 degrees C or else it won't be warm enough to melt the confectioner's sugar.


My piping skills leave much to be desired. Look at that baby in the top left corner.


Here are some rising in the oven.


My partner is filling his with avocado and banana ganache with a chocolate square.


My favorite ones were the cinnamon pistachio with morello cherries.


Here is chestnut and matcha green tea.


My team set up this mandarin compote. I think we all were confused when it set in under 5 minutes.


Since my piping skills are apparently no good, my partner piped the mandarin mousseline onto my macarons.


I packed some to take back to New York.


Here's the batter for the chocolate and nuts cake.


The finished cake!


Brittany Shortbread hanging out in the oven.


Out of the oven!


We didn't have enough to fill up the container. Shame because I really liked these.


Florentine Shortbread. Awesomely delicious with a hint of orange.


About to get chopped.


In a cute container.


Hazelnut crunchies!


Packaged and ready to go.


Fruitcake.


The fruitcake was dipped in a syrup 4-5 times and then topped with...it looks like gummy bears. I'm not sure what it was exactly. I think their translation was off.


Our final presentation. We then had a taste testing and we tried all of the macarons out.

It was a great experience. I only wish the instructor translated more things into English for me because my comprehension of French is next to none. Even so, I learned a lot by watching and I filled up an entire notebook with notes and instructions. Since coming back, I've tried making a few of the macarons and the florentine shortbread. I haven't been as successful, but I swear it has something to do with my oven and baking trays rather than a flaw in what I've learned. Plus, I made the florentine shortbreads in a broken oven! Still came out good, but it took forever.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMMMMMMM!! NHOM NHOM~

    The results look fabulous! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete