Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Soy Sauce Ribs

I've been pretty absent lately. I've been swamped all weekend and I started my first class in a 12 week amateur baking series on Sunday. So far, I've learned a billion things about...yeast. I've been reassured that by the end of the 12 weeks, I'll be awesome. Yay!

Rather than sharing a recipe on the bread, here's one of my favorites from my mom's collection. Soy Sauce Ribs! If you like soy sauce and garlic (my two faves), then it's delicious. When my mom first made this, she used a lot of oil, which I think made it taste better. She noticed that we kept dipping our finger into the pot and licking it and so the recipe was adjusted to be a little healthier and to prevent the finger dipping. Sigh.

P.S. Sorry for the less than pretty picture. I was given less than a minute to steal the dish and snap a quick one b/c everyone was starving!




Ingredients
Pork Ribs
2 tbsp minced garlic
3/4 c rice cooking wine
1 tsp black pepper
Corn starch as needed (~1/2-1 c)
Soy Sauce
Brown Sugar
Cooking Wine
Honey
Sesame Oil

(Ratio of Soy Sauce:Cooking Wine:Honey:Sesame Oil - 3:1:1:1:1)

1) Wash ribs
2) Marinate with garlic (2 spoons), rice cooking wine (2 handfuls) and black pepper for 20-30 min
3) Dust with corn starch and fry in a pan until lightly browned
4) Simmer soy sauce, brown sugar, cooking wine, honey and sesame oil in a pot large enough to hold ribs. Taste and adjust if necessary.
5) Add ribs, cover, and stir every 10 minutes for 30 min.

Note: Steps 1-3 can be done in advance. Just put the ribs in an airtight container and freeze away until needed. Thaw out meat and continue with steps 4 and 5.

xoxo,

lemonie

1 comment: